Well ... it's not exactly a quilt ... it's more of a pad for them to curl up and lie on.
I couldn't resist when I saw the paw-print fleece on a 50%-off sale at JoAnns. Turns out it wasn't 50% off -- but didn't know that until it got rung up. Since it was already cut and the cashier agreed the sign was misleading, she let me use my "single-item" 40% off coupon on two separate transactions. I felt it was a fair response.
Anyway ... back to the "dog quilt". Since this is meant to go "under" not "over" the dogs I wanted to make it padded. I used a double thickness of batting sandwiched between 2 layers of the paw-print fleece. Then ... I decided to try practice a pebble stitch on it ... that was interesting. It's WAY TOO THICK to easily quilt. Three bobbins of thread and a LOT of shoulder muscles later, I finished the pebble stitching!
It's 26" square ... the quilting alone caused it to shrink up about 3" in each direction.
I found a cute cotton binding with bones and paw prints. Mind you, machine binding 2 layers of batting sandwiched between two layers of fleece took a little extra effort as well.
Madigan is posing for this shot, with Emma waiting in the wings.
I have enough to material to make a 2nd one for the other dog ... but this time I will definitely use a less intense quilting ;-).
It was a fun exercise ... but it might be a while before I get around to making the 2nd one ...
All the best