|Finished -- Confetti quilt made from solid scraps into a queen size quilt|
The Confetti quilt was made to go on the murphy bed in the den at the cabin. When we were initially designing the cabin, we faced a balancing act of keeping as much public area for us as we could, while still creating private space for guests when they were here. In the end, we created both a guest room and a den in the plans.
Then the challenge was to come up with sleeping options for the den where the person/couple who ended up in the den didn't feel like they had drawn the short straw for the weekend. After thinking through a variety of options, I came up with a murphy bed that goes into the wall like a closet. This is much easier to pull off when you are designing a house, then to try to modify once you have a finished house.
|View of murphy bed in den from main room|
|The windows and built in desk in the den|
The den faces the mountains and the canal ...
And of course ... now whoever gets this room gets to sleep under this sweet quilt!
The quilt by the numbers:
|Back of the Confetti quilt|
|Scraps of colors|
|Binding and meandering quilting|
- 440 blocks on the front, 132 blocks on the back -- 20 x 22 blocks
- Each block is comprised of 3 pieces -- 3.5" x 3.5" square accompanied by a 3.5" x 1.75" strip and a 4.75 x 1.75" strip.
- 75% of the pieces came from my scrap bin.
- It is quilted with a light gray thread in a relatively light tight meandering pattern (which I accomplished on my Pfaff portable home sewing machine).
The biggest surprise for me on this quilt was how much it shrank. I expected 7%, it was over 10%. It works fine on the murphy bed, but would not want to use it on a regular bed where's its set up all the time as it wouldn't have enough drop one either side ... it really should have been 22 x 23 blocks -- which would have required an additional 66 blocks. I am not sure if it was the tight quilting that caused the additional shrinkage. The only other queen size quilt I have made shrank by 7%, so that's where I got my thinking from, but it was quilted in a straight line with far less quilting.
For anyone who's interested, here are the other posts created in the making of this quilt.
- Initial pattern idea
- Starting out
- More progress
- Laying it out
- Creating the back
- Basting challenges
- And finally ... same quilt ... different colors
Other than the slight challenge with the shrinkage ... I am THRILLED with how it came out. I've pulled the murphy bed down today for the photo shoot ... and now I don't want to put it away ... I like looking at this quilt, it's bright and it makes me smile ... just like a quilt should!
All the best