Curves ... week 1


I have finished week 1 of Rachel's curves class over at Stitched in Color.  It is a 4 week class and she's offering 3 different levels.  I took the class with the lowest level of engagement ... and it's working out great.

Each Friday, Rachel lays out 3 projects that are available to us for the following week -- we get to choose how many we choose to take on.  She then provides three tutorials during the week on each of the projects and is available to answer any questions that we have.

In week one, Rachel's proposed projects for the first week included bunting, baby bibs and a scalloped pillow.  As I had already pulled together a birthday bunting project before, last week I chose to pull together the baby bibs and the scalloped pillow.

The bibs are made from flannel and gave me practice with some simple curves, stop stitching and installing snaps.

Flannel baby bibs
The instructions were to use solids on the back ... but I didn't see any reason not to make them reversible.
Bib on right is the coordinating reversible fabric
Backs of both bibs
They were a snap to pull together and I can't wait to see them in use by two of my friends who are having babies this spring.

The second project was a bit more complex, raw edge scallops appliquéd to a pillow top.

Scalloped Applique Pillow
Back of Scalloped pillow
This was a good learning project.  In addition to the curved appliqués, I also put in my very first invisible zipper with out a single stressful moment!  There was a small spot where I didn't get the appliqué coverage done properly ... as I intend to make a quilt from a similar pattern, this was a great learning exercise.

Oops
Rachel has posted 3 new projects for this week ... I'm pretty keen on two of them ... now I must just make some time to actually work on them.

The Valentines Day Runners
John and I also ran a "Love 'em or Leave 'em" 5K on Saturday.  This was my first run having come back from a tibial stress fracture last fall.  While I didn't break any records, I was thrilled to get back out there again and the training is now on for a 1/2 marathon in May.

Hope you had a great weekend.

All the best
Lisa

Comments

  1. Good for you in learning some new techniques. Even with the oops, love the pillow. Oh, how wonderful you can run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those projects look like such fun - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lisa, I have awarded your blog with the 'Liebster Blog Award'.

    http://thiscreativebliss.blogspot.com/2012/02/sams-liebster-blog.html

    Best wishes and happy Valentine's day
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!