Tutorial for Jenna


Update:

Thanks to Sarah for letting me know that it would help people to know how much material to purchase!
I used: 
  • 12 quarter yards of different fabrics to cut the large and small squares from (when I was finished, I had about 25% of the quarter yards left (you could used FQs, but this came off the bolt, so I had them cut 1/4 yards for me). 
  • I used ~ 1.5 yards of the solid for sashing
  • The back was made from the remaining sashing and 2 extra pieces that I had in the stash.
Jenna was nice enough to offer me advice on this quilt when it was just a couple of blocks on a drawing board.  So when she asked for a tutorial ... how could I say no?

This quilt is based on blocks comprised of (1) 7.5" (5) 3.5" squares with sashing.  The basic block layout is reflected below:
The following diagram represents the pieces of the block.


So here's what you will need:

A = (1) each 7.5" x 7.5"
B = (5) each 3.5" x 3.5"
C = (3) each 3.5" x 1.5"
D = (1) each 7.5" x 1.5"
E1 = (1)each 11.5" x 1.5"
G = (1) each 11.5 x 2.5"
H = (1) each 13.5" x 2.5"

First, lay out the squares for the block the way that you want them. 
Next, connect the smaller squares (B) together with the small sashing pieces (C) creating a pair and a triplet piece.
Using strip D, connect the pair of small squares with the larger square.
Attach E to the left side of the triplet piece and then sew the two pieces together.

Finally, sew the 2.5" pieces to the top and left.

Here's another block I made (note:  I added some sashing on the bottom and right as I am going to use this as a block on an improv quilt).

If you make the block properly (e.g. without the extra 2 strips that I used in the last photo), you will end up with a block that is 13.5".  In my quilt, I went 4 blocks tall x 4 blocks side.  After you determine how you want to lay out your quilt, you will need to sew an extra 2.5" strip to the right and bottom of the quilt (see the sashing in the image below in a slightly darker blue).


On my quilt, I chose to add some 1.5" squares around the perimeter before adding another 1.5" piece of sashing and then the binding.


It was a fun, and relatively easy, quilt to make.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions ...

Comments

  1. Great tutorial, Lisa, and a beautiful quilt! One other thing, though - do you have any idea of the fabric requirements for the size you made? Nothing major, just "I used 12 fat quarters plus fabric for sashing" or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt -- and you sure did a great job on the tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! Thank you SO MUCH! I love it! I even like it with the extra sashing too! I'll just have to decide which way to do my quilt now. When I get this one done, I'll let you know, although, you're already a follower, so you'd see it anyway! It will be King size, so who knows how that will go since I've never made one that big! I'll get to it someday! ;) Thanks again for taking the time to do the tutorial! This is a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Lisa! Nicely done! You should make this a PDF. Now that you are a quilt pattern designer (!) when you write patterns in the future and make them available for purchase, you will always have this "freebie" :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great block and tutorial - thanks!

    It would be fun to see what would happen if you turned some of the blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice quilt. I have collected several prints to make my brother a quilt, but, I haven't found a pattern to use them yet. This pattern may work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lisa, I loved your tutorial and your quilt.
    I was looking for a pattern to do "quilt and you go" and I think yours will be the one. And I will get all that stash out of my drawers. Congratulations from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt, I think I'm going to try to get some colors to match and try making one of my own. Thanks for the tutorial. June

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this and I had a piece of older cat fabric that I had been looking for something to do with, so I tried one block, went together really easy. Don't really have time to make the whole quilt right now, but I have set aside matching fabrics for the future. I am going to call it "The view from my window". Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial- I love it! (You could make a fortune selling this pattern!)

    Came over here via Freebies for crafters blog. Off to read the rest of your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for such a clear, easy to understand tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun quilt and thanks for a great tutorial! A great way to use up fat quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this pattern so much, I would like permission to use it for our Block of the Month pattern. I am with Moonlight Quilters of Sonoma County.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!