Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Elephant Quilt


My cousin is about to have a little girl ... when I asked her what she wanted in a quilt ... she replied, "I'm thinking sunshine yellow and maybe some various shades of green (spring, lime, etc.). I know a lot of people are pairing yellow and gray but I'm going for a warmer palette -- cream and natural browns instead of gray.   I'm doing a mix of animals for a motif (I am doing a project where I am framing various animal drawings with their "plural" names, e.g. "a parade of elephants").  We do have a chocolate brown rocking chair from K's grandma so trying to find a way to tie that in, too"

So that ... was the basis for this quilt.

The color palette and new fabric:




I do believe I made a couple of tweaks on the fabric as I couldn't find everything I was looking for.  With no LQS yet located near me ... I was pushed online to buy my solids.  I started at Fabric.com, but they are now charging a 50% premium for 1/2 yard cuts over their full yard prices ... while I appreciate why they have done this, the reality is I can't afford it and I didn't need 10 yards of greens and yellows to add to the stash.  So I went over to fabricshack.com who actually had a better selection of Kona solids and had a lower price per yard.  If I can't buy local, I am going to go for the lowest price.


Elephant Quilt Applique
The elephants were appliqued on.  While, I like the look, it definitely creates a shift in how the fabric feels after it's complete ... stiff.  Hopefully that will settle down after a little while.



The back is pieced ... a few prints from the stash for a little interest.  I had a diagonal cut piece of material that I had used before to make some bias.  I thought that it would carry the diagonal theme from the front ... it's OK ... but I wouldn't do it again if I had an option.


I am pleased with those points however!  And you can see that I went with a meandering quilt stitch.  I really debated this one ... I wanted to straight line ... but am still perfecting that approach and didn't want to risk it on this one.  And I do love that crinkled look you get with the meandering stitch.


The binding was in the stash & I'm not sure I have the name of the print.  It was machine finished with mitered corners.  

Quilt by the numbers:


  • Finished quilt dimensions:  A generous 40" x 48"
  • ~ 1/3 yard each of Kona solids + 2 yards of the pale yellow (Kona Meringue).  
Because I had purchased 1/2 yard amounts, I had enough to make a slightly smaller one which I have done the straight line quilting on the diagonal and have put in my Etsy shop.  I actually prefer the straight-line quilting ... I think it goes better with the design.  And I prefer the back on the shop quilt.



I did have a couple of learnings from this effort which I will share next week ... and a few questions for you talented quilters to help me with ...

Hope all is well with you and yours.

All the best,
Lisa


3 comments:

  1. I like your 'angled' back, to me it looks like an elephant house at the zoo, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilts! I like the little parade of elephants, and I like the back of the small quilt, too. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to next week's post to see more details!

    ReplyDelete

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...