Cabin quilting ...


I am fortunate to have a great cabin to relax at over weekends ... and an indulgent husband who whole heartedly supports my hobby!

On the way out here on Friday night, I stopped at JoAnn's to pick up some solids for a quilt for a wedding that took place in late August (yup ... still a lot of catching up to do ;-).

I had seen this flying geese quilt on Pinterest and loved it!  Turns out it's a Denise Schmidt quilt and she has a pattern (SCORE!!!).  I went to download it yesterday ... only to discover that you cannot download her patterns, you have to wait for them to be sent snail mail.  Not wanting to wait the 2 weeks her website it would take, and quite honestly, a bit tweaked that a big name quilter like DS has not actually embraced the internet, I gave up on the pattern.

So ... sigh ... my first attempt at flying geese was going to need to be a different design.

Off I went, unpacking my machine, pulled out the cutting mat and ruler from under the bed and I was set to work ... for about 30 seconds ... next discovery was that I had left the 'gadget' box that holds my scissors, seam ripper, bobbins, sewing machine feet, pin cushion, etc.  - even at this point, the pedal and cords for my machine which I had brought out.  After a 5-minute mental debate, I was off for the 40 minute drive to JoAnn's for a few basics.


When you really think about it ... there are only a couple of things I really needed ... but without the ability to cut ...

Fortunately, I have a machine that I bought on e-Bay 3-years ago.  So I pulled that one out.  I also let all old cutting mats find a home at the cabin ... so all I really needed were cutting implements.  And NOW I have some I can leave out here should this ever happen again.

I did make some progress on the quilt and am really busy ripping out all the quilting that I have done on a Christmas Tree skirt (post to come).

Hope you had a great weekend.

All the best
Lisa

Comments

  1. I love what you have going with the geese so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very fortunate to have a place to retire too and quilt. Our's is a little beach place and when planning furniture etc, my husband said, "why don't you make the living room your quilting room, and the second, smaller family room, our entertaining and media room. Works for me! I too found that many of my older rulers and mats, plus a machine I got off Ebay, now make their permanent home at the beach. Aren't we lucky! At least for me there is a quilt store only 12 miles away, and JoAnn's is 45 minutes away. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* that could have been me... Your geese look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!