Sometimes it takes a community to make a quilt ...


For those of you who saw Quilt #1 yesterday ... this is Quilt #2.

Instructions for this quilt were, "it's a boy ... we trust you".  So after weeks of thinking it through, this quilt caught my eye.

Not knowing how to make hexagons ... I found this tutorial over at From the Blue Chair.

I quickly (ok ... over a night or two) cut out 43 hexagons and then went back to the inspiration image to see how she sashed them.  That ... is when I discovered that they had been appliquéd.  While that was an option ... since this was a commission, I really didn't want to appliqué them.


Back to the internet, where I found this You-Tube video tutorial on how to sash a hexagon.  Then ... I layed them all out in what seemed like 10 different ways ...





Finalizing the design, I set forth to sew them together ... that wasn't quite as easy at it seemed either.  Which is when I found this You-Tube video tutorial on who to easily sew hexagons together.  While I am quite confident that I didn't do it nearly as well as her ... having the white border made it a little easier to be off by a smidgen.

I was able to get all the colored hexagons sewn together, and started infilling with a few white ones which I had to size proportionately so as not to put a sash on them ... that is when I discovered I really didn't know how to stop the hexagons and start some just plain fabric for the in fill ... and thus this post was born.

Listening to the sage advice of other, more talented quilters ... I simply created a whole bunch more white hexagons and finished it that way.

In the end ... all of the prints for the hexagons came from my stash.  The front is a Kona off white, the back is a Kona Ash on the top and Robert Kaufman Architectures in gray on the bottom.


This was a real lesson for me ... I got a little to creative in my pursuit ... I didn't pay close enough attention to what was really going on in the inspiration quilt ... but I also found an amazing wealth of information on the internet from talented sharing individuals that got me through.

So thanks to the internet, the sites that make viewing all this possible and to the very generous people who share their talent, time and tutorials with all of us!




Tomorrow they are off to their owners!

I trust all of you are having equally productive weeks ...

All the best
Lisa


Comments

  1. Exactly how I thought it should turn out!
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story; and a wonderful explanation for the creative process as it "evolves".....thanks for sharing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out beautifully and again I love how you did the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your process and the end product is wonderful. Its much more imaginative than straight rows with the negative space and asymmetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I absolutely ADORE this quilt! I just finished my first quilt and I think I'm going to try to tackle this as my second project. I love the details on the back! Ah I'm so inspired!!

    How big are the hexagons? How many across? Do you have a more detailed pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!