Mid-Century on My Mind

 Progress has been made on the latest version of a mid-century modern quilt.

Gray and blue quilt haging on a black wooden gate
I've been working on this one for awhile.  First modifying the size, then the width of the grid lines and for this version, splurging on a some fun and vibrant colors.  

I had a bit of fun on the binding with Furocious Fur in Seedling from the Jungle Paradise collection from Moda. I saw it at Kaleidoscope's booth at the Festival of Quilts the Festival of Quilts and knew this would be perfect!!!

 



The fabrics on the front of this one are all Kona solids: 
Color palette of Kona Solid color chips for quilt
  • Background fabric: Ash
  • Blocks from lightest to darkest:
    • Ice Frappe
    • Chartreuse
    • Candy Green
    • Breakers
    • Everglade
  • Grid: Charcoal


The back uses a sheet that I had ordered from Target when I still lived in the US.  I had purchased a king-size flat sheet and used it for the back of this quilt. So piecing was required in order to make it work for the back of this quilt. I added some squares on the back that echo the ones on the front in reverse color.

I don't know whether I am a sheet fan or not. It is definitely much softer than the Kona solids, so it has a really nice feel to it, which can be great when used as a throw. I am not sure about longevity, but then again, sheets get a lot of use as well, so I don't really have a specific reason to be concerned.  Guess it's just different, so unclear whether it matters.  But I loved the color—so soft and goes great with the overall color scheme.

As I mentioned, progress has been made. My last two versions can be seen here. I am definitely good with the thinner lines and the size is better, but it's still a very generous lap quilt at 63" x 68".

The only thing I have yet to solve is the balance. If you look at the image below, the left side of the quilt looks heavy with blocks relative to the more open spacing in the rest of the quilt. It's not about matching block for block, I want the blocks to be scattered. The left side just looks a little too linear to me.

You may have noticed my blog template has changed.  Yeah, I don't like it much either, but my old one just wasn't functioning properly, blurry images and taking forever to load on readers screens. So I have temporarily moved over to a blogger template to make it easier for people to load and read. Hopefully this will be updated soon.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend and if you're not enjoying great weather, at least able to get a little quilting in.

Best,

Lisa




Comments

  1. Wow, love your latest mod design!!! The blocks on the back add a great touch, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I really feel like I made progress on the design with this one!

      Delete
  2. Pretty colors, beautiful quilt, I love this version! The binding is perfect ;)
    Thank you for sharing your work, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a pattern on this for sale yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern will be available in early 2024. I had an injury in September that has slowed everything down. Thanks for checking in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!