PSA

Yesterday the doctor called to tell me the spot they removed from my arm is Basal Cell Carcinoma and today I inched up another week in my running program, Couch to 10K.  I am kinda proud of both events!


And here's why. 

Cancer first.  If you're gonna get it ... this is the one to get.  I know this because my niece, Katie, was diagnosed with Melanoma 3 years ago and we have ALL brushed up on the subject of skin cancer in my family since then.  Another reason, as with ALL cancers, early detection really, Really, REALLY matters.  I know this because—not only is Katie doing awesome due to early detection—but both my husband and I are proud cancer survivors because of early detection.  He has recently achieved 5 years cancer free after Prostate Cancer and I remain cancer free, having been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer a little over 17 years ago.  


Why do I share on a quilt blog?  Because awareness and early detection matter so much that it's worth it to lose a reader if I make others aware.  

Because of Katie, I've been watching my skin more carefully, and had a small spot on my arm that looked like it was always sunburnt.  No bump, no biggie, but worth a trip to the dermatologist.  It's now gone, no follow up needed and I am now a guest on his annual reminder list to come visit him and get my skin looked at.  

With Ovarian cancer, it was a bit different.  I had been experience bloating, lower back pain and increased need to urinate over the course of a couple of months.  After 3 trips to my doc, where I was told it's part of getting older (I had just turned 40) and that stress could cause my symptoms (my stress level was constant), I finally opted to see a new doctor.  

Needless to say, my new doctor listened to my issues and sent me in for an ultrasound.  Turns out my left ovary had grown into a tumor the size of a grapefruit which was pressing on my bladder, creating the urge to pee all the time.  It wasn't a normal presentation, which was fortunate for me, as otherwise we would not have found it so early.  

I was Stage IIC.  The last state you get to before Stage III.  The difference in the survival rate between IIC and IIIA is big.  And because of a very skilled surgeon and then a very aggressive oncologist, coupled with a doctor who finally listened to me, perseverance on my behalf and excellent, employer-sponsored health insurance, I am here today to send one very important message ... loudly and often.

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BODY

If it tells you something is different, get an answer for what is causing that.  And don't stop until you get that answer.  

Oh ... and as for the running ...

I had never been a runner, but decided I wanted to run a half-marathon to celebrate 10 years cancer free.  So at the age of 49, I bought the app Couch to 10K for my iPhone and started training.  I did actually run 3 half marathons over the next year.  But then life got busy and I stopped running.  At the beginning of 2018, I decided to start the program again.  It's basically a 13-week program.  In Week 1, you run 30 seconds and walk 4.5 minutes and repeat.  Week 2, you run 1 minute and walk 4 minutes, repeat.  By Week 5, you are running 2.5 minutes and walking 2.5 minutes, repeat.  But somehow, I got it stuck in my head that I couldn't run any longer than I could walk any more and I repeated week 5 for about 6 months.  

Last week, I summoned courage and started Week 6, run 3 minutes and walk 2, repeat.  I also finished Week 6 last week and today ... in the POURING rain, I started Week 7 ... Emma and I ran 4 minutes and walked 1, and repeated for a total of 68 minutes.   We looked like drowned rats and felt like ROCK STARS!  

WE DID IT!  

All around, it's been a great week.  

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and or a Peaceful week ... whatever you celebrate(d) ... I hope that it id/was with family and friends of your choosing and it is/was filled with laughter and love.

All the best
Lisa

Comments

  1. Thanks for an important and thoughtful post, we all need to be reominded to examine our birthday suits. AND, congratulations on your running.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!