A few pillows for me ...

Yikes!  It has actually been 7 months since I lasted posted ... trust me, it has not been for a lack of creativity going on in the studio!

Yesterday was dedicated to making a couple of things for my home (which often seems a bit of a rarity).

Lumbar pillows ... I know ... not a super exciting topic, but these guys are cute and REALLY helpful for me to have around with a lower back issue that lingers too long (that's a different story for a different day).

Living in the middle of nowhere ... I am pretty much required to do most of my shopping online, which sometimes means that when the fabric arrives, I am in for a surprise!  These two fabrics arrived about a month ago ... I actually thought the oranges would coordinate a bit better ... but in their individual applications, there are just fine.


The first set are for my living room chairs.  These chairs came with small lumbar pillows, which were good for sitting, but they didn't add much to the decor and they were a tad small.


I definitely think the new pillows add a bit of pizazz ... I also splurged on some new down pillow forms from Garnet Hill.  While I prefer to buy on sale, I didn't think that $12 was actually that bad for down, given the poly inserts were $14 at JoAnns.  But I will wait for a sale to purchase any additional ones.  (Last year I did get a really good price on some 18x18 pillow forms at Garnet Hill, which I used to make a few Christmas presents).


Never a fan of envelope pillow covers and loath to do zippers on a pillow, I found a zipper tutorial on SewMamaSew that makes it SOOOO easy to add a zipper!  On this set, I covered the zipper in a contrasting fabric.


Overall, I am pleased with the splash of color they add to the room (so hard to photograph this room when it is bright outside) and the down inserts make it super easy to get comfy when sitting in these chairs.

For the second set, I initially thought the color would be slightly different and was going to make some 18"x18"s for the sofa.  Instead, I ended up making lumbar pillows for the den.


Our den is just off the living room and it is a den, guest room, library and office.  


We can't put much furniture in here, as this is also a guest room (there is a queen-size murphy bed behind the closet doors).  So we need lightweight but comfortable chairs for reading, that can easily be moved out of the way (or room) when we have guests.


With these two pillows, I used the same tutorial for the zipper, but I made the zipper flap out of the same fabric, instead of a contrasting one (bottom pillow).

This room is also used as our office ...


And our library ...


The addition of these pillows + getting a few pictures hung (we did move out here permanently 3+ years ago ... sigh) has made spruced it up a little in my eyes.  It's interesting how just a couple of tiny things can make a difference.

Sources:
Pillow forms from Garnet Hill -- used 12"x16" forms on this project

Hope you are having a productive weekend!

Best,
Lisa

Comments

  1. What a wonderful amount of light you get in your home, not good for photos, but pretty good for daily living. Your pillows are great. Thanks for the link for the zipper. I liked your contrasting zipper cover band.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!