Mid-Century Modern Quilt

Back in 2012, when I was a relatively new quilter, I created a quilt for my cousin who was having a tough time.  After I finished the quilt, I put all the remaining fabric together in a bag, thinking there was probably enough to make a second quilt.

I finally pulled that bag out last month and made that 2nd quilt.  There was just enough fabric left ...


I've grown a lot as a quilter since I pulled together the first version.  And although the new version really doesn't look that much different, I know the process this time was more thoughtful and the quilting more deliberate.


This version has struck me as more mid-century modern ... taking me back to the cover the Highlights magazine we used to read when I was in elementary school.


I ended up doing 1" straight-line quilting at a slight angle, which I was quite happy with.  I would have liked to have gone a little denser, but have been using a bent paper clip taped to my walking foot as a guide and didn't feel it was sturdy enough to stand up to tighter quilting.

Note:  I have just purchased a guide to go with my Juki walking foot ... so hopefully this won't be an issue going forward.  I will let you know.


The prints were Lotta Jansdotter.  When I thought I didn't have enough, I looked on line and found a single yard for $80 ... yup, there are people out there ready to gouge you ... because they can.  In the end, I went with one less column, my OCD really wanted another one to make it balanced ... but I am good.


I'm glad I got this one finished ... I have some ideas on new color ways that I believe will bring out the mid-century vibe and am looking forward to giving that a shot.

At 68"x50" it's a generously sized lap quilt.

UPDATE:  You can now find the pattern for this quilt in my shop.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Lisa

Comments

  1. That is beautiful, Lisa! Great quilting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this pattern and the Lotta Jansdotter fabric. I might give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I did a search for 'mid century quilt pattern' and this was the first one to pop up. I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!