Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Help Please!

I have had a colleague who has asked me to make her a quilt with some vintage airplanes on it ... I found some clip art on Etsy which I purchased, traced onto Heat & Bond and then appliqu├ęd onto some red Kona Cotton.

 This first image is after I have appliqued and done all the perimeter stitching on the plane ... quite liked it here.


Then I stitched around the plane about a 1/4" of an inch with straight stitching and then did fairly tight meandering quilting around the plane on the white.


As you can see, the plane doesn't look quite as crisp when I am done.  I don't prewash any of my fabric, so I don't know if that would help or not.  Or is it simply what happens when one quilts?

I am going to take it in to show the mom to be tomorrow and get her input before I try to make the quilt in earnest.

Any thoughts are sure welcome!

Thanks!
Lisa


2 comments:

  1. The tight stipple is crunching the pattern. You have to keep the quilting simple and open - a large cross hatch works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your design. Did you applique the plane on the quilt or just the top? Stabilizing the applique first would help (I like to use a fusible tearaway), applique just on the quilt top. I think you should be able to stipple around it without too much distortion.

    ReplyDelete

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...