Graduation quilt

My cousin's daughter, Stephanie, just graduated from University ... so time to put together anther quilt!  When I asked what Stephanie's favorite colors are, I was told orange and purple.  I know Stephanie ... and she's a bit of a 60's flower child kind of young woman.  Given her personality and color choices, I knew that I needed to pull together a creative, modern quilt.  So I pulled out my new copy of Quilting Modern and turned to the Tipsy City Quilt.

I really liked Katie and Jacquie's version much better than mine ...
But that said, I really, really, really learned a lot in the making of this quilt.

  1. I really do need a design wall -- a lot of what I'm seeing now that I am done, I could have seen on the design wall, 
  2. Putting the blocks in the island of orange could have been more effective had I created a little more distance between the blocks,
  3. I started making blocks like Katie & Jacquie recommended (top left side of quilt), but over time, I adapted my style and was happier with where my blocks went from a personal style.


I also really enjoyed replicating the quilting style that they used  and will definitely try it again.

Stephanie was thrilled ... so it's cool that she can't see the flaws.

I've been away from quilting for a few weeks and am happy to be back at it again this weekend!

All the best
Lisa


Comments

  1. Can't see any faults from here- my initial reaction when I saw the first picture was 'wow' and it's still my reaction- WOW. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it turned out! That's one of my favorite patterns in the book. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What flaws? Looks great and love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a terrific quilt! Even better that you learned some things along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous Lisa, I agree a design wall is really helpful with this type of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing, Lisa!!! Love the colors, the quilting style, everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this quilt! I am going to make a tipsy city quilt for my newest nephew...and my google search came up with yours. My sister in laws favorite color is orange so she would love this too! Hope you are loving it more now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i adore this quilt!!! such an original take on the design. congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it, I think you're being too hard on yourself. The colours are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!