Thursday, August 12, 2010

As a little girl gets bigger overnight ...

This is a quilt for a young girl who's doing a lot of growing up right now ... she's 11 years old.

In the past 3 years, she's had a lot of change in her life as her mom married a soldier ... since June of this year, they have moved to a new state, she's started a new school and today ... the only father figure that's really around shipped off to Iraq for a year.

Her mom married my brother ... and she's my new neice.

This quilt is going to be for her ... from "one Army brat to another".

I grew up the daughter of a soldier.  My dad's war was Vietnam ... and I was 7 and 10 respectively when he went on his two "tours".  When a child's dad goes away to war, you fill a different role.  You struggle between being a kid and your belief that your the person that your mom is depending on.

It's going to be lonely around their new house for a little while ... and I decided last night that I could fix something ... in the only way I know how these days ... with a quilt.

I fell in love with this fab quilt by "From the Blue Chair".  It seems it's actually a pattern from Oh Fransson. 

So my goal is to put it together quickly and get it off in the mail to make a little/big girl feel a little more appreciated in a tough situation ...

... from one Army brat to another.

Hope you're having a good week.

All the best
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. this is going to be such a special gift for her. it is so hard when dad's go away. we know from experience being married to a army officer...the colors are perfect and that pattern is really cool and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thought and sure to cheer her up! Justine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your quilts are very unique. I love your quilts and I'm giving you the award of "The Versatile Blogger" Look at my blog to see what it's all about..

    ReplyDelete

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...