Photographing your creations

I am in the midst of setting up a Shopify account—Shinersview.com will be coming soon!

Hoping that it would be as easy as it was to install the template for my new blog ... I decided to give it a go and set it up myself.  How difficult can it be, right?

Truth be told, it's not hard, it's just very time consuming.  

Working on product pages this weekend, it became clear that I did an excellent job branding the photos of many of my products with my Etsy store address 😒which isn't going to work with my Shopify account.  

The sun came out this afternoon, so I made a quick decision to do a photo shoot for my Adirondack Chair Neck Pillows.  



It is kind of interesting to do a photo shoot of a summer product outside, in the middle of winter, when the garden is completely dormant.  

But then I spied John's wood piles.  He stages them.  The 2019 wood is chopped and in the wood shed, ready to be used in our wood-burning stove.  The 2020 wood is still in rounds, and mostly covered up with tarps as it cures.  But a big windstorm a couple of weeks ago resulted in a large tree going across the road.  John and our neighbor got it cut up this week and brought up to the house.  


Doesn't it look kind of artistic?  

OK ... I know that you guys are quilters, not Adirondack Chair Neck Pillow makers.  But I have been doing a little research on photography and came across two outstanding blog posts on photographing quilts that I wanted to share.

Image from QuiltyLove

The first blog post is by Emily Dennis over at QuiltyLove.  She does an outstanding job of showing you different ways to stage your quilt and different techniques to get great shots.  Well worth a read!

Image from Sassafras Lane Designs

The second blog post is by Sassafras Lane Designs.  This one is a little more traditional, but gives some great tips on lighting, background and getting your quilt straight. 

If you're interested in upping your game a little with your quilt photos.  I highly recommend both of these posts.  I believe you'll find that there's a lot of goodness in both these blogs, beyond these posts.  I have also started a board on Pinterest where I am putting links to blogs, articles and resources for photographing your art.  

I am pleased to say that I did get 4 shots of each of the 22 sets of Adirondack Chair Neck Pillows today!





 I hope that you are having a great week out there and, if you're in the mid-West US/Canada staying warm or in the South of Australia staying cool!  Crazy weather!

All the best,
Lisa



 

Comments

  1. Great, creative use of a ''winter scene'' that showcases your pillows. Congratulations on opening up an Shopify account. D. Weeks (aka Momma Llama)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!