Love the Bloggers Quilt Festival!



Another Bloggers Quilt Festival from Amy's Creative Side and all of her sponsors!  I saw the Festival was back last night on when I was on Little Island Quilting's blog (who ... by the way has THE best headline photo on her blog ... take a minute some time to head on over, it will put a smile on your face ;-). 
















My choice of which quilt to put up this time was easy ... it was a quilt that I designed and that I really, really struggled with sending to it's intended recipient.


This was a birthday present for my sister-in-law who lives back east.  It started with an email to her older daughter asking what her mom's favorite colors were -- green and grey.  After I bought the material, I started thinking about what pattern I wanted to make (I know ... that's not exactly the right order of things, but more often than not, that's what I seem to do).  I decided on half square triangles and then got some inspiration from this, this, and this.  But after considerable playing around with the potential options, eventually landed on the Envelope design.


At first I was worried that it was too blah and was thinking of doing something on the binding or back to brighten it up.  My husband casually commented (which is unusual for him) that he thought it was very serene and he really liked the continuity of color ... all of a sudden, I saw it in a new light.


So instead of spicing up the back, I stayed true to the front and kept it in the green family with my favorite standby ... Kona Sweet Pea (my favorite mostly because I really like the color and how versatile it is, but partly because it's sold at JoAnns and I can use a 40% off coupon to purchase it).


The back is fairly simple with just a little bit of piecing to break it up.  And just a little bit of spice on the binding. 


Pertinent facts:  Front a variety of FQs from my LQS.  The white is Sateen from JoAnn's, as I mentioned the back is Kona Sweet Pea and the dimensions after washing were 66" x 52".  I used a white thread to quilt it in a meandering pattern.

What I learned?  Until a quilt is complete ... it's just not complete.  Several times I questioned whether it was really working for me.  And in the end ... it turned out to be my favorite quilt that I have made.  I will make this quilt again ... I love it too much not to!

Enjoy the quilting show and don't forget to visit Amy and the Flickr Pool.

All the best
Lisa

Comments

  1. This quilt is quite pretty! I love the colors and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours! And it is very serene but not dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt, Lisa, and I'm so glad to see it again! Did you write a tutorial for this quilt that I missed? The pattern is just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely elegant quilt- I am sure that is treasured by its owner. It turned out beautifully - you will have to make another one for yourself. Sometimes the colors we think will work best do not work at all while others go together in ways we did not think possible. It is one of the mysteries of quilting.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt and for dropping by my blog.
    Regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I simply HAVE to leave a comment now you've said such a nice thing about my blog header! I'm glad you 'get' it - I just thought it was a lovely passing of two worlds, the cow doing it's thing and a heavily laden cargo ship going who knows where.
    Great quilt - sophisticatedly restrained would be how I would describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the graphic boldness of this quilt! I am a big fan of the brown and green color scheme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours in this quilt are lovely and the pattern shows that off. Sometimes we struggle with certain blocks, fabrics, or colour and often in the long run it turns out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is really pretty. i can see why it was hard to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. O yeah; I would have struggled to part with this, too. It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree that until a quilt is complete you dont know how it's going to look. Some quilts just sing once theyre quilted.

    I love your quilt. The design is simple, the colours restful, and the whole quilt just says "sunggle under me ". A fabulous finish. (And you can always make a second one and keep it for yourself )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very elegant and eye-catching. It can be a challenge to try to make a quilt to fit another person's tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I agree with your husband it is a very serene and peaceful quilt and I love greens so I love this. I always find I like quilts more once they are quilted and bound. Those las 2 important steps bring a quilt to a new level. Have you plans to make one for yourself now? I'm sure your husband would like one:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both the colors and the design of this quilt! Just beautiful!

    Thanks for your kind words about my BQF quilt and for letting me know my blog link wasn't working in Flickr (fixed now).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the envelopes! This is indeed a serene and warm feeling quilt. Isn't it amazing how much the quilting changes the quilt! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eye catching design! Lovely-serene is the right word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Your quilt is wonderful! What a nice present to receive. And thank you for the nice comment on my blog. Hugs from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a beautiful quilt, and I agree, serene. I love your choice of fabric for the backing and the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the design of this and I think the colours are very restful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not normally a fan of green, but HSTs can always sucker me in - the design is fantastic! Thanks for also stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt is so beautiful! I really do love all the greens and the pattern is beautiful too! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am partial to soothing greens. Very elegant quilt.
    It'll be interesting to see what other color variations you do with this design.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt has turned out so well. I really like the way you stuck to the colour and really made the pattern work.
    It is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. two color (or some peeps say single color) quilts are stunning and yours is a perfect example. I can see why you love it... blessings to you for giving it away as intended.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!