Dancing in the rain ...



This was a UFO that had been sitting in my pile since I launched the Connected Squares Pattern earlier this year.  I had purchased the fabric for the back, but just hadn't gotten to it.

Then last week we got the tragic news that, after a valiant 11-year fight with Leukemia, a friend's husband, Walt, had passed away.  Over those years, Walt had fought like a trooper—doing everything he could to find a cure and still, spend amazing, quality time with his kids, to make sure that the time they had together was meaningful and well lived.

I had made Walt a quilt back in 2016 when his cancer had returned.  This one is for his family.  His wife, 16-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter.  I put a quote on the back (which doesn't photograph that well, but is easier to read in person):

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.


This quote has so much meaning to me.  When my dad passed 3 years ago, my sister was going through his things and found he had written the quote down in a notebook.  It is exactly how Walt and his family have lived for the past 11 years and I wanted to share it with them in a meaningful way.

Together, they had purchased a mid-century modern home and the design of this quilt top, and even the color scheme, were a perfect match for that home.  I hope that the quilt will be continual reminder of the community out here that loves and cares for them and is here if and when they need us.

midcentury modern quilt white gray with a coral accent

The quilt was made from this pattern.  It's a pattern that is designed for the "new to quilting".  The backing is Cotton + Steel Jubilee Lanterns.  The front is all Kona solids and I believe it is white, steel and coral.

quilt back with cotton + steel jubilee lanterns fabric

quilt top in white and gray with a coral accent


The coral piece on the back with the quote is not appliquéd, it is pieced into the quilt.  I printed the quote on the fabric with my InkJet printer.

Note:  I have found that colored ink will come out in the wash, but black ink, when ironed for 60 seconds after printing, seems to set just fine and will stay put well.  You should ALWAYS run a test or two for your printer and wash several times before putting a printed piece into a permanent item like a quilt.

Sometimes I am really pleased that I have a hobby that allows me to create things to share with people that matter to me, whether it be to celebrate a momentous occasion or touch someone who has experienced sadness or loss with something that brings meaning and perhaps a little comfort to their day.

I hope that you are all having a good week out there.

Best,
Lisa




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the story of this quilt. I know the family will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift! They will SO appreciate your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt and a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!