The quilting mistake ...

Oh ... you've been there.

You're trying to figure out how to quilt your latest endeavor ... you have a lot of ideas.  But more likely, you've got this nagging suspicion that what you're about to do is going to detract from the quilt, so instead, you go safe and simple.


Well ... to be perfectly honest, safe and simple would have been the better choice here.

I thought that the quilting outline that echoed the shapes would have been a good element.

It wasn't.

Honestly, it probably wasn't the quilting lines that were the problem, it was likely the density of the quilting.  Sometimes, less is more.

The quilting distorted the simple design on the quilt top.

I share, not because I am proud of the mistake, but because quilting is a process with learnings ... every day.  And I want to share the learnings as well.

The good news is it was a baby quilt, so it was only about 3 hours with a seam ripper to remove it.


But rip it out I did!  In the end, I went SUPER simple.  Straightly line quilting at 1 7/8" spacing (that was determined by the spacing on the elements in the quilt).   It's just tight enough that nothing else is needed and yet I call the quilting both loose and scarce.

It's an example of NOT letting the quilting take over the quilt.  This is a simple design.  In the absence of a cool, mid-century-modern quilt design on a long arm, this quilt just needed some basic quilting that let the design shine through.

Oh ... and did I mention the PERFECT backing that I had in my stash?


Karma!

Quilt details:

Pattern:  Freja Quilt Pattern by Shinersview (hopefully launching July 25th).
Dimensions:  Baby version, 40" x 50"
Fabric:  Kona solids.  Ash, Curry and two other yellows (not sure which ones)
Backing:  Honeycomb something, purchased about 2 years ago from Hawthorne Supply, pretty sure it's no longer available. Oh wait!  I found it.  It's Minimalista by AGF Studio.
Binding:  Kona Curry solid

Oh, and not only did I quilt the same quilt twice in two days 😏I also baked my FIRST EVER pie!


And it was AWESOME!  A blueberry & rhubarb pie with a home baked pie crust, no less.  You can find the recipe here and it gets 5 out 5 stars!  Pretty simple to make and it was delicious—hubs and I polished it off in 3 nights—just the two of us!

Cheers,
Lisa

Comments