Sail boat quilt

My husband has 6 grandchildren!  I prefer to say it that way than to say I am a step-grandmother ...

This quilt is off to the youngest for Christmas ...



Eric, just turned 1 in September.  His mom let me know about 9 months ago that she was going with a nautical theme in his bedroom.  Once I clarified that meant boats not fish (duh) and the colors she was using ... I started trying to come up with design ... and boy did I struggle!  My Pinterest board is filled with about 30 different options.  I knew that I didn't want to do applique, but was struggling to find a way to piece it that I would result in a design that I was happy with.

Then one day, I came across this fabric online ... I was so excited to have found what I KNEW would be the whole-cloth back.  When it arrived in the mail a few weeks later, I was totally disappointed to discover that I have purchased decorator weight ... not quilting cotton.


In the end, I decided to go with it anyway ... I used the fabric as inspiration for the front.  And was able to make a simple pieced front that still passed my design sensibilities.

I had recently taken a course in straight-line quilting and had also just bought the book Walk by Jacquie Gering (which is worth it's weight in gold!) and wanted to try it out a bit on here.  I started with the large sail and went at an angle in the right angle portion ... I have a Juki and a not-so-great walking foot, which meant that if I didn't want to mark it, I would be stuck with 3/8" quilting lines.  I started it that way, but in the end, felt that with the heavier weight back, that would simply make the quilt too stiff.

Decided to go ahead and leave in the 3/8" that I had done ... it doesn't detract and brings a little texture & differentiation to the straight lines that I ended up with placing at 3/4" spacing for the rest of the quilt.  For the water, I used the first free-motion quilting technique that I ever learned, I don't know what it's called, but it's from the Plain Spoken quilt in Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's "the Modern Quilt workshop" book.  I think that it gives it a bit of movement like ripples.


The binding was simple, I just used the same Kona gray that I had used for the body of the boat, with a little bit of patterned print on one side to break it up.



Overall ... I am pleased that I tackled and accomplished something that I had struggled to get started on for quite a few months ... it's been washed a couple of times and has softened up a little, although it will always remain a bit stiffer due to the decorator fabric on the back < sigh >.


It will go in the mail on Tuesday and I hope it puts a smile on mom and baby's faces on Christmas morning.

Well ... I am now off to attend a forum to learn more about the impact the proposed tax legislation will have on my health insurance and small business ...

Hope all is well out there with everyone!

All the best,
Lisa

Comments