Happy Veteran's Day !!

Happy Veteran's Day to ALL of the vets out there that have so selflessly served our country!

Patriotic Quilt
I come from a military family ... my father served 29 years in the Army, retiring in 1982.  We are now in the long-goodbye with my dad as he bravely faces each day as an Alzheimer's patient.

Last weekend, my siblings & I came from a far and landed in Kansas City for a quick reunion with my parents.  I made this quilt for my dad for Veteran's Day and took it with me on the visit.  


The look on his face as he opened the quilt up ... thought about it for a minute ... and then remembered that I quilt ... and had made the quilt for him ... is a memory that I will carry with me for the rest of my days.

I saw the inspiration quilt on BHG several years ago and pinned it to my Pinterest page hoping to someday make a Quilt of Valor.  I think I found an equally good use for it this month.  

Instead of buying fabric, I bought 100% cotton shirts from Goodwill & Value Village.  In this quilt, I used 7 shirts.  I cut 5.5" squares, did some oversize blocks, two little flags and some appliqued stars on a few of the squares.  

I had a label made by Spoon Flower where I took a photo of my dad and I and then appliqued it onto the back.  
Quilt Label -- Patriotic Quilt

The quilt is 12 blocks wide by 16 blocks long making it ~54" x 72".  


 The weekend was a success ... with a good time had by all.


And my favorite photo of the weekend ...


Hope it's going well out there ...

All the best,
Lisa

Comments

  1. I do love quilts with thrifted shirts! This one does not disappoint….a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift for your Dad -- and a lovely memory for you. I've been down Long Goodbye Road myself, so know what you are experiencing. Enjoy the moments when he is present.
    {hugs} to you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!