Now a moment for a vent ...
Feeling pretty good about my Confetti Quilt and the Wall Art I created from Rachel's Curves Class -- both comprised of solids. So I headed off to JoAnn's this morning to buy some Kona solids for my newest effort.
I left the house armed with the following coupons:
- 25% off your total regular-priced purchase (valid April 5-7)
- 50% off any one regular-priced fabric (valid April 1-7)
- 20% off your total purchase (valid through April 28)
- 40% off any one regular-priced item (valid through April 14)
- 25% off your total purchase regular priced purchase (valid April 5 - 7)
- 40% off any one regular priced fabric (valid April 1 - 14)
They came to me from various sources:
- #1 & #2 were put into my bag when I was in the store last week,
- #3 was a postcard mailed to my house,
- #4 is from the periodic flier that they send to my house,
- #5 & #6 were from JoAnn's iPhone ap
Unfortunately, the only one I could have used today was #3.
You see, JoAnn's took their premium solid fabrics and marked them all down by $1 per yard from April 1 - 14. As I walked around the store, I saw numerous instances where small discounts were provided to prevent the coupons from being applicable. Note ... the $1 off sale ends on 4/14, just after all 5 of the coupons that are restricted to regular price items expire.
Now don't get me wrong, JoAnn's has the right to execute the pricing strategy that they feel is appropriate. What irritates me is not that I couldn't get 50% off the 4 yards of Kona solid I wanted to buy, it was the fact that they wasted my time by sending me coupons to encourage me to return ... but I can't use the bulk of those coupons. And more importantly, they have created a set of expectations (SALE $$$) and delivered a very different experience.
So I left empty handed and headed off down the road to my LQS, a local business, where I paid $6.99 per yard for my solids, picked up some smaller yardage of prints ... and came home thinking it will be a long, long time before I head back into JoAnn's again.
What's your experience with JoAnn's coupon conundrum?
All the best