A very special baby ... quilt

A baby girl is weeks away ... she will be joy of parents who had their hearts broken too many times on this journey.  While she's not due until mid-January ... given their history, she's just as likely to come next week as she is in two months ...
I found some great pinks, greens and browns from the Milly collection from Erin Ries and decided it was time to try my hand at a windmill pattern (see my inspiration here).   


My learnings so far: 

Challenge #1:  Could not find the Omnigrid template that was recommended on several blogs.

Challenge #2:  I hadn't appreciated that cutting a square in half and re-sewing it would result in a rectangle, not a square ... this is where my inexperience as a quilter comes in ...

But after making (and failing at) the same square 3 times ... I found Michelle Sews blog and a fool proof way to make a square windmill ... whirlygigs with no trimming.

Armed with knowledge, I made 2 templates from light-weight cardboard ... one for the white and one for the colored fabric, and started making blocks.
That solved the problem and I made about 20 blocks in 2 hours ...

I am hoping to finish up the final four blocks and finishing the top tomorrow ... but I have to admit that vegging in front of the tube this week seems to be winning.

Hope you're having a more productive week.

All the best
Lisa

Comments

  1. We'll done for sticking with it! I have discovered a major issue with spacial awareness, so I gave up on the asymmetrical blocks like this and did mine with rectangles. Yours looks better but it saved the bad words here!!

    Benta

    Benta@SLIKstitches.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Benta! I know what you mean about the 'bad words' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost did the same thing when I made my circle quilt. I figured I could cut them in half and sew them back together....until someone pointed out that would make them ovals. Duh! I think you and I are just very visual people rather than maths/geometry people. That's what I tell myself.

    Keeping my fingers crossed that this baby holds off for a bit longer. Sounds like she is very much wanted and I love the quilt you're doing to welcome her into the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!