Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pretty pillows ...


One was planned ... one not so much. 

The smaller one first ... the pillow top was my first attempt at straight line quilting as I blogged here (the good news is that although the walking foot didn't fit, I've been in touch with the e-bay supplier and he's sending me the correct one as soon as he receives the first one he sent me - hooray!).  This pillow was supposed to have a white patchwork quilted top and a gold straight-line quilted back.  I had quilted and washed both the top and bottom and started working on them yesterday morning ... cutting down the pieces to 13" x 17" to cover a 12" x 16" pillow form. 

The bad news is ... I unfortunately cut the back 12" x 17".  The good news is that is was the back ... not the front that I worked so hard on.  I'm out at the cabin, with no batting on hand ... so I decided to try making self-welting instead, and coupling that up with a simple material back (not quilted). 

So ... my first attempt at putting piping a pillow ...


The cover for the second pillow was supposed to be a pillow sham ... but it just didn't work properly ... so I cut the pillow sham pieces down to 19" x 19" and used them on an 18" x18" pillow form instead.  The pillow top and bottom are identical.

 
This represent my first installation of a invisible zipper -- which was a challenge, but accomplished and it looks reasonable.


This has definitely been a process ... and a learning experience!  The matching quilt is about 40% quilted, so I need to finish that, bind it and take another run at a pillow sham and it will be off in the mail!  Bummed that I don't have a twin bed that I can photo it all on ... but imagine I will come up with something!
 
I was also supposed to be working on Lynne's Union Jack quilt blocks for Fresh Modern Bee 2 ... but found that paper piecing is virtually impossible for me without and iron which, with the batting, remains in Seattle ... technically August doesn't end for 2 more days ... so tomorrow after work I am definitely on it Lynne ... promise ...
 
Hope you had a great weekend ...
 
All the best
Lisa

5 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, Lisa! I love that straight line quilting.... I'm getting ready to do some on a quilt, hopefully tomorrow or the next day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pillows are awesome! I especially LOVE the smaller one! That gold back and the piping are to die for! Add to that the gorgeous straight line quilting and I think that is the most perfect pillow ever! I don't think I can make pillows. They never turn out, so I don't even try! I would love to have some of those smaller pillows on my bed made with some Arcadia fabric! Maybe I should try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great - I love the striking simplicity of straight line quilting. I really should try making pillows(!) (we call them cushions in the UK, pillows are only what you sleep on!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out great, Lisa! You did a great job on the welting. We are doing a little redecorating in our living room, so I definitely need some new pillows.

    ReplyDelete

Comments read daily and THOROUGHLY enjoyed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...