A quick baby gift


A first baby is always so exciting!!!  It's been so much fun to watch a former colleague of mine, who's about to become a dad, get increasingly excited as the due date draws near.  His daughter is due the first week in February.

Not knowing the nursery colors ... decided a travel quilt might be a better option. This is so versatile! I figured it can be used with the car seat, stroller, carrying seat, tummy-time pad and, in a pinch, a changing pad. And it folds up smaller than an infant diaper … that ought to be easy to tuck into a diaper bag.


It ended up ~24" x 30".  The front is comprised of 4” squares of Kona solids; three primary (yellow, red and blue) and secondary (orange, green and purple).







The back is white sateen with falling blocks. I used the wonderful appliqué tutorial from Sew Mamma Sew to float the blocks.  It's quilted with a pale yellow thread, but I think next time I might use a white.
Hunted high and low for a print comprised of primary colors to bind it with ... surprisingly, that was harder than I thought it would be!



Turns out this size quilt is perfect for using up excess batting. Typically I use twin size batting and now have numerous ~ 72" x 30" pieces stuffed in drawers and cabinets – and it doesn’t store that easily.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new dad with his daughter!

Comments